Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Leading Up To This Trip- David

Absolutely surreal.  That is the only way I can describe it.  I can't believe that in less than two months I will be traveling across the country on a bicycle with my two brothers.  I have always had the desire to go on some big adventure, but never had the time or resources to be able to make the dream become reality.  God has completely opened up this door and His hand has really been in from the start and can't wait to see His plan continue to unfold.

I wish I could say I had the great idea to travel across the country on a bike, but really the idea came from my Dad.  After my Dad's junior year of college he and his buddy went across the country in about 40+ days averaging 90+ miles a day.  Jeez.  He has told us stories of his experience and has really wanted us to have experiences ourselves.  He been one of our biggest supporters throughout this past year.

When the idea of biking across America became somewhat serious, I knew there were some obstacles that needed  to be overcome in order to make it work.  Money in order to purchase gear and a dependable bike, a job that worked within the time frame of this trip, and graduating on time(May 2013)

Money has always been tight with me.  Meaning I don't have a whole lot of it spend.  Thinking through items/gear I would need, figured that it would cost a few thousand dollars in order to fund this trip.  That is a ton of money for a poor college kid.  Slowly but surely job after job popped up.  Mostly yard work in my neighborhood, and by the end of this past summer I had enough to purchase a quality bike.  I have been slowly acquiring equipment throughout the year.  Its all coming together!

Next important item is a job.  I will be very honest.  My mind worked like this........Bike trip>Job.
BUT when it really boils down to it I know that it couldn't be in that particular order.  I guess that is part of growing up, haha.  So I was on the pursuit of a job.  Long story short, my Dad was able to find an opening at his work and the company was willing to work around the bike trip. So come this August I will be working in downtown Greenville at a company called Propel HR!  I am looking forward to the opportunity of working with them, and helping bring value to the company.

Money, check.  Job, check.  Next hurdle, graduation. After a few scares with a couple of courses I believe it is safe to say I will be graduating on time.  *Phew!*  Yeah...there were a few close calls.  What I have learned is that you own your mistakes and you learn from them as best you can.  There were a lot of lessons learned via academics in my college career and I can honestly say it is by the grace of God that I am graduating on time.

That is what this past year leading up to this trip has been in a nutshell.  At times has been a daily grind, and other times full of excitement and anticipation.  The brothers and I are ready!  To Him be the glory.

-David

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are excited to have you working with us in August. I have enjoyed reading the blog and hope that you can find a way to keep it current during your adventure. I pray for safe travels, fun times and great fellowship for you and the Band of Biking Brothers. - Kelli

    ReplyDelete